Sunday, October 3, 2010

"To live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven"


I love, love, LOVE listening to the words of our leaders, especially our prophet. I always feel so uplifted and spiritually fed after hearing their inspired words. The Spirit resided so tangibly in our presence as we listened this weekend. I have a renewed desire to follow the commandments with more faithfulness and exactness. I have a yearning to grow closer to my Father in Heaven. I have a new thirst to study the words of God and teach them through example. I have a strong will to be a courageous parent and more faithfully hold family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, and family dinner. I am filled to the brim with gratitude for my countless blessings.
One of my favorite talks was given by Elder Scott. He assured us that our struggles will only define and fortify our character. He promised that our happiness on Earth and throughout eternity depends upon our faithfulness. As powerful as Satan is, he cannot undermine our faithful character, only we can through disobedience. He cannot alter character, he cannot quench true faith. His misery is fixed, ours' is not. How comforting to know of this truth! Even if we succumb to temptation, because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can become whole again. There is a sweet peace that enters my heart as I ponder upon the infinite, unconditional love our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ has for each of us. 
As usual, President Thomas S. Monson's words struck me straight to the core. He testified boldly that having hearts filled with gratitude will bring us closer to God. He encouraged each of us to live in thanksgiving daily, expressing our gratitude to those around us. President Monson counseled, "While there are many things wrong in this world, there are many things that are right. Refuse to remain in an attitude of negative thought and cultivate an attitude of gratitude." "To live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven." I know his words are true. I testify that if we follow his counsel, we will come closer to Heavenly Father. 

As I was pondering after the last session today, I thought back exactly one year from this time. Our friends Luke and Leah came to visit us and meet Ashton, as did Nelson's family.  Our sweet baby was only 5 weeks old!


So little!!!

Nice to meet you, Uncle Rhett!!

Look how much he has grown!!!! We loved him so incredibly much when he was only 5 weeks old, and our love has only grown since then! 

Peek-A-
  
BOO!!!!!!!!
When I count my blessings, I always start with my amazing husby and beautiful son. I cannot express my love for those two~ they mean the world to me! 


For your viewing pleasure, please enjoy more pictures of our cute boy Ashton! :)


Ashton with his bath tub letters!

Daddy got this bib for Ash in San Fransisco! It says, "ALCATRAZ. Reject: Too Cute."

How could you not love that sweet smile??  P.S.: You can see my little rosette hair clip I made with my sissy-in-law Tara!

Hanging out in our PJ's after church last Sunday!

Telling Mommy a story!

Handsome boy!

Walking in the grass!

Lately, Ashton has been laying on floor every now and then. This is extremely odd for our super active little guy! He usually won't even lie still long enough for a diaper change (believe me!). He is trying to phase out his morning nap (which saddens me) and just take a longer afternoon nap. Sometimes he gets a little tired. He loves this toy that throws balls in the air and you can see his little hand on the lever that makes it go. He is a funny guy!

Play date with Joesph!!

Ashton loves to help mommy cook and is even convinced he can handle the hot stuff! ;)

Big boy walking with daddy!!

So adorable!

He is getting more and more independent! Now we just need to teach him how to climb into his car seat and buckle himself in! :) Haha, ok, maybe later.

Ashton adores his daddy and is always trying to copy him! Tonight after dinner they got into a yelling contest to see who was the loudest. "Ahh!" Nelson would say. "AHHHHHH!!!!" Ashton would return. Nelson and I couldn't stop laughing!

Nelson and Ashton were having manly dress up time together. A small Viking, perhaps?? :) I just love my boys!

5 comments:

Kerstin said...

So being disobedient is one's own fault and not Satan's?

Stephani Polson said...

I totally agree with you about Conference weekend....so wonderful hearing the leaders of the church! LOVE IT!
Your Ashton is such a little stud!I love the peek-a-boo pictures! He sure is a handsome little dude! I think you may have problems with girlies in a few years!:)

Samantha Polson said...

So cute! That little tike is sure handsome! They grow way too fast huh?

Jessica said...

Thanks for your testimony! You are such an inspiration, Katie! I loved all the pictures and updates. Glad to hear you guys are doing well.

Erin said...

Thanks for your post. It touched my heart. Ashton really looks a lot like you do by the way.