Friday, February 25, 2011

18 months of HAPPINESS!!!!

Ashton turned 18 months old on February 24!!!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!! I cannot believe my baby is so old! I just love our little boy sooo much!! It is hard to describe matters of the heart in words. It is truly amazing how much love my heart holds for our sweet bitty boy. 

This post is dedicated to the star of our family, 
Ashton Jay Arave!!

Ashton is the biggest sweetheart. He thrives on positive reinforcement and is a big people pleaser. Ashton loves to give "back massages," which entail some karate chops to the back and a small kiss to end the session. The best part is, it feels great!!! Whenever I am a recipient of one of Ashton's back massages, I am sure to encourage him and milk out my special treatment as long as possible! :)

Ashton is the best little sleeper, which we are soo grateful for. He sleeps from 8:00 pm until 8:00-9:00 am and takes one nap in the afternoon. 

Ashton had his 18-month well-child check-up on Thursday, and he is doing great! Here are his stats:
Length: 31.75 inches (25-50 percentile)
Weight: 21.6 pounds (below 5th percentile)
Head circumference: 18.5 (25th percentile)
We have a small fry on our hands! I promise we feed him. He usually weighs 22 pounds, but he wasn't feeling well for his appointment and hadn't eaten all day. Our poor little boy had a little fever and threw up in his crib that morning. Oh, it makes my heart hurt when he doesn't feel good! The doctor gave us the same prognosis as his last bout of sickness: a viral infection. On the bright side, we got to postpone his vaccinations until next week when he is feeling better!

Ashton is obsessed with HATS!!! He cannot get enough on at once! He is pretty good at getting them on all by himself. One is never enough. He also loves my headbands. Don't worry, I don't let him wear them in public. ;)
Ashton has been discovering his own proximity lately. He is realizing how big he is and loves to test himself. He will try to squeeze himself into small spaces, as shown in this picture! Don't worry, this is not a timeout corner! ;)
They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. Well, Ashton adores his Daddy and tries to be just like him. Nelson had just got done talking on the phone when I snapped this picture. Ashton loves to have lengthy conversations on our cell phones! That is, of course, unless there is someone really on the line, then he is silent! Whenever Nelson is brushing his teeth, Ashton will stop whatever he is doing and listen. Every day when he hears Daddy gargle and spit, he spits too! It is so funny!


Sometimes Ashton even imitates Mommy!

Apparently he has graduated from picture books! ;)

Ashton is pretty proud of the fact that he can close doors. Sometimes he gets on the wrong side of the door and shuts himself in the coat closet! Haha I just love this cute little guy!

Nelson and I were playing with Ashton in his bedroom one night, and Nelson layed down on the floor. Ashton went to his closet, pulled out his old nursing pillow and layed down just like Daddy!!


Ashton loves to read the scriptures and pray. We have the Book of Mormon illustrated and he adores it! He is constantly getting it off the shelf, wanting us to read it to him. We have family scripture study every night before he goes to bed and he is very good at sitting in our laps while we read the scriptures together. Ashton always folds his little hands when a prayer is given. Sometimes, when I am taking too long to get dinner on the table, he will fold his hands and grunt, letting me know he is ready to pray and eat!!

Speaking of grunting....

Anyone who has ever been around Ashton knows about his grunting habit!! Anytime Ashton wants something or needs our attention, he will grunt. "Eh, eh, eh!!" We have been trying to rid him of this grunting noise for a very long time, but he feels it is his most efficient way to get what he wants quickly! This grunting noise is often accompanied by sign language. For instance, during church when it is quiet and Ashton would like a Cheerio... "Eh, eh eh!" while signing for more. All of our meals are graced with "Eh, eh, eh!",  especially when Ashton is excited about the food. Goodness, we just love our little grunter!

Ashton's words are limited, but he is very good at following directions and understanding us, so we aren't too concerned. He can say "Dada," "Mama," "Baaa" (for ball), "BAA" (when asked what the sheep says), "Maaa" (for milk), and "Caaa" (for car). I was recently released as the choir director for our ward, and Ashton loooooves to sing along in church. He will let out a beautiful "ahhh!" when prompted to sing. Nelson and I also taught him to yodel. He sings, "La, la, la, la!" It is the cutest!



This is our cute boy's "CHEEEEEESE!!" smile!!

Snuggling with Daddy with a missionary part after a fun bath!

I'm so glad that Ashton has such a wonderful father to look up to and pattern his life after. I hope Ashton emulates Nelson in every way, his willingness to serve, his sense of humor, his tenderness, his strong testimony, his love for the gospel, his commitment to family, the list goes on and on.

Here is another example of Ashton testing out what small spaces he can fit into....

Little boy in a basket!! :)

I just love, love, LOVE our little boy!! He is the light of our home and our pure joy!

Wheat Thins and Easy Cheese, anyone??? (Ashton is definitely grunting in this picture!)

Ashton decided this day he would like to eat his snack right in the middle of the kitchen floor! Cutie pie!


Daddy gave Ashton his third haircut!! He is a perfect angel while getting his hair cut.

Mischievous boy climbing in his toy box! :)


We went outside to play in the snow a couple days ago! Ashton loved it!

He would hold my hand with his little glove and wouldn't realize when I let go. He still thinks he is holding my hand in this picture! Haha! He is soooo much fun!


Playing!!

Checking out his little footprints!!

Daddy reading to Ashton!! I love my boys!!

Ashton with his Kermit slippers, Mommy's gloves, and a baseball hat! Silly boy!!

We gave Ashton his very first bubble bath a little while ago (I'm not sure why we deprived him so long!) He wasn't sure what to think!! He kept putting his little hands in the bubbles and inspecting them.


As usual, I have my special helper assisting me with all our household chores! Ashton is always willing to help Mommy out, even if it means having to climb right in the dryer! ;)
Next week will be Ashton's first Sunday in Nursery. To be perfectly honest, I am sad about it. I think I am more attached to Ashton than he is to me!  It will be a good experience for both of us. Plus, I am excited to be able to focus in Sunday School! :) Ashton knows a couple of the boys who are in Nursery right now, and I'm sure he will have so much fun playing with lots of new toys. I want him to stay my baby forever, but at the same time I am excited to see him grow and learn new things.

I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to take care, teach, and nurture our sweet little boy. I have learned so much being his mother. I am inspired to be more patient, loving, and kind. Ashton brings his parents the most inexplicable joy. I know I say this so much, but I was made for this. We love Ashton with the purest of love. I have a better understanding of our Father in Heaven's love for me after experiencing my unconditional love for our son. I see so much potential in Ashton. He is truly a special son of Heavenly Father sent here with a purpose. 
 
What a wonderful responsibility I have to be Ashton's mother! He trusts me completely and I pray each day for Heavenly Father's guidance. Some of my favorite moments with Ashton happen at the end of each day when he lays his sweet head on my shoulder and I sing Primary songs to him. Our chests are pressed together and I can feel his little heart beating against mine and I glimpse what can only be described as celestial joy. I am so grateful for our amazing boy!! Happy 18-month birthday, buddy!!!!

5 comments:

Miriam Herm said...

I can't believe how much he's grown since I first met you guys last summer! He's starting to look like a little boy now! How crazy is that?

Leah Stallings Fine Art Photography said...

He is just so handsome! I love his dimples! He is gonna be a little heart breaker for sure!

Jeremy and Ruth said...

He really is one of the cutest kids I have EVER seen!! I am soo happy you are LOVING being a mom! Wish you guys lived closer so we could do some playdates! :)

Mary Lynn Evans said...

Love Your posts and your positive attitude! Ashton is very lucky to have such a great mommy!

Jessica said...

He is such a doll... all of those pictures were adorable!