Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Welcome to our Home!!

My husband is cheap frugal. And proud of it. 
And I'm proud of it too, except when I really want to buy something... 
But then I'm always grateful for my penny-pinching hubby when we have money saved in the bank. 

Not only is my husband very frugal, he is also VERY talented. The majority of furniture in our house was made or refinished or reupholstered by Nelson.
  
Nelson made this TV stand,

And our headboard and night stands,

And our computer desk! He is AMAZING! I absolutely love being surrounded by his work.
When we moved to North Carolina, we packed our Yukon and our 12-foot trailer. Our mattress and couch took up 2/3rds of the trailer, so there wasn't room for much else. We knew we were going to have to buy many things here in NC, but we also heard that the Flea Markets are pretty great. There is treasure to be found among lots of trash, and we are accomplishing our goal of filling our home with furniture while spending very little money.

For instance, take a look at this beauty! We found 6 of these chairs at our favorite flea market. They are from the 60's and were covered in grime.

First we bought some plywood and Nelson cut out a new base for the seat since the current ones were falling apart and moldy. Next, we layered some padding on the base.



After that, we stapled some cute fabric on. After thoroughly cleaning and painting the chairs white, this was our final product:
TADA!! Aren't they beautiful?!!? I really love the character and class they bring into our dining room.

This chair went through a similar transition! We have these two chairs in our living room.
My friend Jenny spotted this table in her neighbor's front yard with a large sign that read, "FREE!" She knew we were looking for a table and it doesn't get much better than free, right?? Nelson sanded it down and we painted and distressed the table.
The transformation....

Here is the whole ensemble!


Pinterest has become my best friend as I spruce up our space!! This wreath was very inexpensive and lots of fun to make! I surrounded it by all the states we have lived in: Idaho, Montana, North Carolina and Texas (where Nelson served his mission.)
My Thankful banner was a super easy Pinterest find!

My candy corn arrangement with painted branches. 


I finally got around to taking pictures of our entire house. These are mostly for our parents who haven't seen our home yet. But stick around if you are interested! :) Welcome to our home!


I took these pictures a couple of weeks ago, so you are greeted by a friendly pumpkin!

I made our fall wreath and am currently making a Christmas wreath!

We found our entryway table at a Salvation Army for hardly any money!


This is the other side of our entryway. We are grateful Nelson's parents so generously mailed us our large pictures of Christ and the temple so we can hang them in our home!





Almost all the homes in NC we looked at buying have a fireplace and mantle. The funny thing is, it is usually pretty warm here and there is not much need for a fireplace. But, I LOOVE to decorate our mantle and think the fireplace adds so much to our living room, so I am grateful for it.

Another angle of our living room!
We bought this piano off Craigslist for next to nothing. I love having a real piano to play instead of a keyboard. Now if only the children would let me play for more than 5 minutes! ;)
 
Our kitchen!

We have never had an ice maker in our fridge before and now I can't imagine life without it! :)

The dining room!

Another angle of the dining room.

Beckham boy's room!

The boys' bathroom!

Ashton's bedroom! I love all the natural light that comes in through his window.

Another angle of Ashton's room! Nelson got two rocking chairs for free and reupholstered them. We are planning on painting them white very soon.


Paper Coterie offered $40 to buy anything off their site a little while ago, so I made this growth chart for the boys.



The garage door is right next to our front door and these stairs lead to our bonus room.

For now our bonus room is our exercise/guest room. Nelson's aunt and uncle just came to visit us, which is why there is a welcome banner and a big poster (made by Ashton) on the chair. We have a blow-up mattress we pull out when people stay with us. The elliptical machine was another Craigslist steal. 


This small hallway is right off the entryway and leads to the laundry room and our bedroom.
My beautiful washer and dryer! I don't miss my old ones that are in Idaho at all!! :)

The master bedroom.


Our little office space is in the corner of our bedroom. Nelson found a really long cord for our monitor and we set it up at the foot of our bed after we have put the boys to bed.

I love to organize and be organized and our huge closets make my heart happy!! This is Nelson's closet!



And here is MINE!! My clothes are seasonally, functionally and color coordinated. LOVE IT!!!

I was sold on this house the moment I saw the closets! :) Just kidding, but I do love them!

I love the built-in drawers.

The master bathroom!

The boys usually bathe in our bathtub since it is bigger than the one in their bathroom.
I feel so incredibly blessed to live in such a beautiful home with my beautiful family. You are all invited to come visit us!! ;)

5 comments:

Cheri and David said...

I am so happy for you. You couch looks a lot more comfortable in that big living room than these cramped spaces at FGH! Beautiful home!

Jessica said...

What a beautiful home! I am so glad that I saw your post on FB. It's fun to see what people have done with the spaces they live in, and you have done a great job! I am really impressed by the repurposing you have done with the old furniture... very wise!

I totally know how you feel about ice from a fridge... :)

PS> Adorable Halloween costumes!

The Clarks said...

such a beautiful home and i'm so impressed with your making-everything-adorable-but-cheap skills! :)

Samantha Polson said...

Cute house! I love all of the furniture makeovers! I think my fav is the dining room table and chairs! So fun! Happy you guys are doing well! Seems NC is suiting you!

Kerstin said...

Why don't you put the desk with the computer in the bonus room? I loved it when I moved into a bigger appartment and didn't have to sleep in the same room as I was working in. Other than that I love your house!

And why did you stop blogging?